ABC Members Guide For Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Prevailing Wage Requirements for Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Starting December 28th, 2023, prevailing wages will be required to be paid to construct certain electric vehicle (EV) charging stations in new parking facilities.
Here is what you need to know:
- CRITICAL - When a new parking facility offers fifty or more parking spaces, developers must ensure the parking facility can support electric vehicle charging stations. All that work will be subject to the prevailing wage even if the work doesn't trip the prevailing wage on the private work threshold.
- This new requirement applies to a parking garage, parking structure, or open parking lot that is paved and striped to designate individual parking spaces for vehicles and which has fifty parking spaces or more.
- The Prevailing wage will also be required for any supporting infrastructure, up to but not including the electrical supply panel.
- Remember - All projects that receive public support where the amount of public funds, when aggregated, is at least 30% of the total construction project costs and where such project costs are over five million dollars are subject to prevailing wage requirements.
- The prevailing wage requirements of this law shall be enforced on all projects solicited on or after December 28, 2023, or on all contracts entered into on or after that date if the project was not put out to bid.
- If any work on a parking facility construction project is performed without a contract or being put out to bid, the prevailing wage requirements of this law shall be enforced on all such work performed on or after December 28, 2023.
For information on the applicable wage classifications, please contact the closest Bureau of Public Work District Office for assistance: https://dol.ny.gov/public-work-and-prevailing-wage-contact
Other Key Requirements for the Development of New Parking Facilities:
State Finance Law §19-a requires any construction project where the scope of such a project includes the construction of a new parking facility that offers fifty or more parking spaces to deliver a parking facility capable of supporting electric vehicle charging stations through one or more electrical raceways to the electrical supply panel serving such parking facility that shall be capable of providing a minimum of forty amperes and two hundred eight volts of electrical capacity to each charging station connected to the raceway.
- Parking facilities of fifty to two hundred spaces must support electric vehicle charging stations for a minimum of ten percent of available parking spaces.
- Parking facilities of more than two hundred spaces must support electric vehicle charging stations for at least twenty percent of available parking spaces.
If you have any questions, please contact Tanner Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org (585) 730-1814.