ABC and the Merit Shop Philosophy
Associated Builders and Contractors, Empire State Chapter is the voice of the merit shop in the New York construction industry. We accept the responsibility for making that voice heard. We believe the merit shop philosophy is a movement for the betterment of the individual… the construction industry… and the nation.
WHAT WE BELIEVE IN
- Employees and employers should have the right to determine wages and working conditions through either individual or collective bargaining, as they choose, within the boundaries of the law.
- The employer must have concern for the general welfare of the employee and that there must be a fair compensation for work performed. At the same time, we believe that the employee has an obligation for satisfactory performance of assigned work.
- The law should protect the right of employees to work regardless of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin or membership or non-membership in a labor organization.
- It is incumbent upon all branches of government to be responsible stewards of taxpayer dollars and we believe that government should award contracts only to the lowest responsible bidder.The destiny of all Americans can be best served by cooperation, reconciliation and following the tenants of free enterprise and a democratic government.
- Monopolies or any kind of price or wage fixing, in either the public or private sector, are detrimental to our system of free enterprise.
WHAT WE STAND AGAINST
We oppose violence, coercion, intimidation and the denial of the rights of employees and employers.
We oppose unjust pressure to violate these principles.
We oppose government intervention in the free market by creating an uneven playing field. Government shouldn’t be in the business of picking winners and losers.